May
2015, wow! It has been 4 years since that day when my parents asked me if I
really wanted to do engineering.
Flashback
to 2013, 10th board results had just dropped in, a lot of people had
come by my home in order to cajole me to not take Science and go for Commerce,
I sometimes ask myself what if I had listened to them? What if I had not been
as adamant as I used to be? But computers, my love for computers and desire to
learn as much as I could about them had already taken over all the decision
making power I had and had made sure that I chose science for my higher
secondary education.
Now
for the next 2 years, I was at Allen Career Institute, Kota’s most known and favorite, the institute had decided to expand its operations by starting a new branch here at
Ahmedabad and my once upon a time best friend recommended me to join therewith
him, unknown to me that asshat had opted for B Group and my love for computers needed
me to join A Group, so I had enrolled myself into an institute where I didn’t
know anyone and that was a disaster, I was a really shy guy back then, I didn’t
even know how to start a conversation (spoiler alert- I don’t know that even
today) and I was in a class of more than 60 new faces, that’s when I realized
this was not going to end well.
First
year at Allen Career Institute with respect to my academic results was a total
failure, I failed at weekly exams, I didn’t understand Physics or Chemistry or
Maths either, I couldn’t solve simple equations, didn’t understand something as
simple as the nomenclature of chemical compounds and my physics was more than just
a disaster. By the end of the first year, my parents asked me again if I wanted
to change my stream and opt for Commerce, but you know, the adamant me would
never listen to anyone and thus I enrolled myself for the second year again at
Allen Career Institute.
2014, the second year of Allen Career Institute, one of the best years of my life had
begun, no, not because I would have excelled at academics, I failed terribly
more than ever before, but because I would meet 2 of my most favorite people in
the world, Rushabh & Bhagyesh, technically I had known Rushabh for almost 5
years now, but we grew close here at Allen, and Bhagyesh, I had a Déjà vu when
I saw him, he was me at Allen in 2013 but maybe better at making choices. Allen’s
academic timings were 3:30 to 8:30, now you can only imagine how much torture
that was to our poor little minds, but wait a minute how can that be torture if
we had never actually studied, yes! We never studied there, all we did was
shake our necks up and down, pass comments, make fun of faculties and their
weird accents, in conclusion, we did everything but study. While looking back I
don’t remember my score, well there wasn’t anything special about those scores
either, I mean why would I remember the tests I had failed? But I remember
those days we spent at Allen and augment over those very special moments.
2015,
JEE results were out, as expected I hadn’t scored enough to be selected in any
good college of Ahmedabad, I was in Coorg, Karnataka having a nice vacation
when 12th board results kicked in, the moment I saw my result, I
cried out loud ‘I have passed in all subjects’, now this is the day when my
parents finally asked if I really wanted to do engineering, looking at my scores
even I knew they weren’t enough to get me in some good engineering college, also
by that time I had already appeared for NATA, I had scored 78, short of 2 from getting
qualified for getting into an architecture institute. So no to engineering and
no to architecture as well, now my maternal uncle happened to be with us and him
made me understand a few things that now to pursue engineering as a career would
be nothing more than being foolish, I wasn’t qualified enough to be an engineer
or an architect, the disappointment panda kicked in, the truth was finally in
front of my eyes and that’s when negative self-talk started kicking in “What
have you done?”, “Why didn’t you study when you had to?”, “What am I going to do
now?”, “Why…What?…Why?...What?”.
Now
that everything was clear to me, I had still a choice left to be made, what do
I choose as a career, my cousin called me and said that there’s a new course that was going to start at GLS University’s Faculty of Management, an Integrated MBA program, a
5-year BBA-MBA course where no entrance exam would ever be needed for pursuing
masters, one of my many fears was gone, after what happened to me with JEE and
NATA, a permanent fear for entrance exams had been installed inside my brain,
it was clear I had no choice but to enroll for this course, the only thought I
had in my mind was that if I opt for this course, I’ll never be able to spend
as much time with Rushabh & Bhagyesh as much we did in Allen, this time the
fear was an intensity of 10, but then what choice did I have? I asked my cousin
to fill up a form for me and thus now began my journey on an unidentified road.
Why
is this an unidentified road? Isn’t that obvious, I wanted to learn about
computers. Management? I had never thought of that, I didn’t know anything
about Accounts or Statistics or Business Administration, it would have been okay
if I had skipped some lectures of them during school but hey! I never opted for
commerce in my higher secondary education, I was completely blank, a notebook
that had never been written in, a pen’s cap that had never been taken off, oh
things were so much worse, somewhere I doubted if I should have ever enrolled myself
here, this could be Allen all over again, a class of 60 new faces, shy guy, didn’t
even know how to start a conversation etc… but then I thought of something, I
have already screwed up a lot, how much worse can it get? This is where for
only once in my life, I was probably right, I didn’t screw myself ever again,
this is where the unidentified road took me to a highway of self-improvement.
If
you had met me 4 years ago, you would have known how clumsy I was, not saying
that I am not today but way less than I used to be, and it all started with
that one presentation that Prof. Pooja Shah made us do, the new product
development activity, this time it was real, everyone was my competition, I had
to make an impression, I had maybe already put up an image of someone who
stammers, but this was the chance where I could finally show who I really was,
so I put up all my guts together, go ahead and ask to be the team leader, now I
had to stand up to the bar I promised I would set up and at that moment when I was
upon the stage, there was an adrenaline rush in my veins, I was scared as
hell, but hey I needed to do it and I gave the first ever presentation of my
life, that’s it, that’s when everything about being better started, a round of
applause, the sound of everyone clapping their hands for what I had said on
that stage, for the first time in my life I was facing an audience like this
and I didn’t stammer, I DIDN’T STAMMER, I was amused and confused at the same
time, one presentation after another, my group presented so much better and we were
always good at setting a bar from then on for others, I had made many new friends, a group of 7. I loved this road now, I
had started to realise that this was the road I needed to travel on.
I
started getting involved in the Students Activity Committee, again headed by
Pooja Ma’am and Amish Sir, faculties started to recognize who I was, this was
the attention maybe I was always seeking for and then started the second
semester, December 8th, 2015, I was at Kushal Shah’s home, I get a
call from the HOD herself, Dr Kavita Kshatriya asking me to help her with some
of IT related work, now she becomes the mentor I always craved for, she taught
me almost everything I know today, she was the reason I got so many chances to prove
myself and my worth to not others but me, I needed to learn that I could do
things I had never imagined possible, it will never be enough, no matter how many
times I thank her.
Last
year I got selected at SCIT- Symbiosis Institute for Information Technology’s
MBA in IT Business Management course, now I could learn about both management
and computers at the same time, it was a dream for me, the 2 different roads I
had taken in my adolescence were adjoining to the same highway and thus I moved
to Pune, spoiler alert, I was back in Ahmedabad within 19 days only. Why? Because
I attended the academics there for over 14 days and I never felt like GLS, I didn’t
feel those good vibes I used to, I felt suffocated and distressed every time I
entered a classroom there or my hostel room, I needed the same feeling I felt
at GLS as fuel for myself to run now or else it would really be Allen all
over again and I was so much afraid than ever before to fail now. There are 2
people I talked to about my issue there, Smruti Ma’am and Kavita Ma’am, Smruti
Ma’am had assured me that everything was going to be okay and I just needed to take
some more time, whereas unknown to me my mother had already talked to Kavita Ma’am
and when she called me she said and I’ll quote her “Doors of iMBA are always open
for you, you can even join after Diwali if you want to.”
And
the fear of failure brought me back to the same unidentified road I was once
afraid of to travel before but this time I was traveling this road by choice
and not out of compulsion. Fear of failure isn’t bad but to recognize whether that
failure is going to add up to your success or not is very important, 1 week
into GLS I knew this could be the place where I’ll be able to improve myself,
whereas 2 weeks at SCIT didn’t make me feel that way and so it was important for
me to make a decision whether to stay or not and thus the unidentified road it
was.
What
actuated me to write this post? One dialogue I heard today while watching TVF’s
Kota Factory, “Decision of your parents can be wrong but not their intention”, my
parents like any other always want me to succeed and by making me travel this
unidentified road the made sure I do in one way or another.
Unidentified roads
can scare you a lot, it is your responsibility to choose whether if you want to
travel it or not but to be sure you at least need to go few miles ahead before
taking a U-turn.
No comments:
Post a Comment